Company: New Mexico State University
Posted on: June 23, 2022
Requisition Number 2200361SClassification Title Acad
AdvisorPosition Job Title Acad AdvisorCollege/Division ALCC
Alamogordo CCDepartment 920900-ALCC Student ServicesPosition Number
299987Internal or External Search External - Open to all
applicantsAppointment Full-time Equivalency 1.00Reports To Position
Title VP Student Success ALCCTarget Hourly/Salary Rate
$37,271-$46,589 target entry to commensurate with qualification.Pay
Level 07Pay Base SalaryRecruitment SummaryNew Mexico State
University at Alamogordo (NMSU-A) is a comprehensive community
college located in the foothills, at the base of the Sacramento
Mountains. This vantage point overlooks the city of Alamogordo and
the Tularosa Basin. The service area of the school includes
Holloman Air Force Base (HAFB), White Sands Missile Range, and
stretches beyond the view to include the Mescalero Apache
Reservation and approximately twenty villages and towns. Much of
the south-central New Mexico region benefits from the convenient
location of the campus. NMSU-A is a two-year community college
campus accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of Colleges and
Schools, and is dedicated to the concept of high-quality,
cost-effective education that meets the needs of the community and
diverse student population.Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Advises students regarding correct placement based on incoming
- Works with counselors from area high schools to properly admit
and register Dual Credit/Early College students.
- Ensures that these students are correctly placed in appropriate
- Provide advisement of active duty military and military
- Provides academic advisement for prospective, current, and
former students within a specified undergraduate academic
department or equivalent unit of a college.
- Assesses academic level, attends to student inquiries, assists
in problem resolution, and advises on program changes, and in the
development of academic plans and schedules.
- Analyzes applications, transfer evaluations, and transcripts
for entry and exit from the university. Maintains appropriate
- May establish programs for target recruitment and retention and
develop program and marketing materials.
Classification Standard Duties
- Answers student inquiries and resolves problems related to
curriculum and course prerequisites, referring to catalogues,
written course descriptions, and other sources.
- Reviews transcripts to ensure eligibility for admission to a
specific college or program including evaluation of transfer
credits and applicability of academic credit to program
- Initiates and maintains individual student files updating and
evaluating as new information is received.
- Reviews student files to ensure deadlines are met for
completing graduation requirements such as coursework requirements,
theses, comprehensive examinations, and other specific program
- Coordinates with other organizational units to process
admission and graduation requests and to aid in resolution of
- Reviews student grade reports each semester to determine
probation and/or suspension based on academic regulations of
university; notifies and places students on probation or
suspension; returns students to regular status after sufficient
progress is made.
- Prepares written communications in support of recruitment
efforts; attends and participates in orientation and information
- Assists students in the selection of appropriate courses and
concentrations in terms of students' stated preferences.
- Assists faculty advisement, athletic coaches, and other
counseling personnel by providing records, evaluations,
interpretations, and other requested data, recommendations, and
- Performs supplemental administrative activities such as
scheduling meetings, securing requested information, and verifying
and maintaining computerized data files.
- May assist in proctoring examinations and other qualifying
requirements or activities required by the college or
- May supervise lower graded staff and student employees; may
participate in training and evaluative sessions and recommend
methods to improve advisement activities.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of academic standards governing student probation,
suspension, and/or expulsion.
- Knowledge of student recruitment and retention issues.
- Records maintenance skills.
- Ability to gather data, compile information, and prepare
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in
- Ability to use independent judgment and to manage and impart
- Ability to maintain calendars and schedule
- Ability to analyze and solve problems.
- Ability to analyze course prerequisites, certification, and/or
- Ability to evaluate student transcripts and/or records.
Required EducationBachelor's degree in a related field.
Required ExperienceNo previous work experience required.Equivalency
Standard Work Schedule Standard (M-F, 8-5)If not a Standard Work
Schedule, please describeSchedule may be adjusted to accommodate
the needs of the department.
Keywords: New Mexico State University, Las Cruces , Academic Advisor, Other , Alamogordo, New Mexico
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!